Thursday, May 12, 2011

An Excellent Teacher

 A teacher recently received an email from a student he had taught in Year Four and Year Six some 21 years ago.  It demonstrates the real power and influence of excellent teaching.

I think of my time in your class often, and I'm always amazed by the clarity of some of those memories. I remember how easy it was to retain so much of the content, and also how much I enjoyed so many of the topics we covered. Year 4 and 6 were definite highlights for me.  You sound as though you have done some remarkable work in recent years - though I must say your work in the classroom was remarkable enough.

It might amuse you to know I'm teaching now. And I think it is because of that I became absolutely compelled to contact you at this point. I was beginning my second day ever of teaching in March this year - relief teaching as it were - prepping for my day with a Year 4 class, when I was overcome.  After teaching Year 4 at the same school the previous day and thinking of what I was about to face with a diverse group of 30 students that day, I finally understood the magnitude of the world you had helped create during those years you taught me.  I always knew it was special, and that you were a special teacher, but WOW, I could actually see a glimpse of what it took to create the experiences you did. It humbled me. Thank you.  I want to have the chance to say it to you in person one day, but it really can't wait to be said. Thank you. :)   Klaire

No comments:

Post a Comment